Today the inquiry into the confirmation of a compulsory purchase order made by the London Borough of Hounslow for the provision of a new, 20,000 seat community football stadium for Brentford Football Club opened. The Club moved to its current stadium in Griffin Park, Brentford in 1904, and has long since outgrown this location. The CPO if confirmed will enable the regeneration of a site that is principally used for unattractive industrial and related uses, between Kew Bridge and the elevated M4 motorway. The redevelopment will include some 910 new homes, which will assist in enabling the development, as well as a hotel and other uses. The Club’s proposals have been lauded as bringing significant inward investment with regenerative benefits into a relatively isolated area of Brentford.
The inquiry is expected to run for two weeks.
Russell Harris QC is acting for the Club.