This is an inquiry into proposals by RWE Npower Renewables Ltd for a 4 turbine windfarm with associated development. The pre-inquiry meeting took place on 16th May 2011 and the inquiry is due to sit for up to 3 weeks in July-August 2011.
The principal issues to be considered at the inquiry relate to:
- the landscape and visual impact of the proposed windfarm;
- the impact on cultural heritage (in particular nearby listed buildings);
- noise impacts;
- potential interference with the civilian air traffic control radars servicing Newcastle International Airport;
- potential interference with the military air traffic control radars servicing RAF Spadeadam; and
- the extent to which the developments would beneficially contribute to the production of renewable energy, and the weight to be given to that contribution.
Charles Banner is acting for the Ministry of Defence, who have become a Rule 6 party at the inquiry in order to ensure the safeguarding of its interests at RAF Spadeadam.