Junior Practice Assistant Vacancy
Title: Junior Practice Assistant
Contract: A six-month temporary role for a view for it to go permanent
Reporting to: Senior Practice Manager/Practice Manager
Salary: £23,315.50 (London Living Wage) plus multiple benefits including: medical healthcare, pension scheme, death in service life cover, discretionary bonus scheme, etc.
Hours: 08:30 to 18:00
Landmark Chambers comprises 93 barristers, including 35 QCs and is a leading set of Chambers in the UK, specialising in planning and environmental, property and public law.
About the Role:
Chambers is seeking a Junior Practice Assistant to provide administrative, practice management and general organisational support to the Practice Management Team, and assist in the provision of an efficient, professional, service to Chambers’ members and clients. The role is based at Chambers’ registered office in London and will include the following responsibilities:
- Timely and accurate distribution, collection, packaging, franking and dispatch of all mail and DX
- Maintaining the stationery stocks on all floors of Chambers on a daily basis and ordering new supplies as and when necessary.
- Printing and photocopying of all work-related documents, including photocopying of authorities and bundles of documents for court (see below), and faxing of documents
Collecting historic case papers from the member floors on a bi-weekly basis, ensuring that they are returned to the correct instructing solicitor(s) as quickly as possible.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bundles, including: (i) finding the relevant authorities; (ii) producing an index (where necessary); and (iii) printing sufficient copies for all parties to the case and the court (as required).
- Delivery of court documents to High Court, County Courts, etc., including the lodging of skeleton arguments and authorities’ bundles
- Accompanying members to and assisting at, Court as and when appropriate
- Receiving and directing calls, ensuring that the phones are answered quickly and professionally, and that the caller reaches the appropriate person or voicemail box
- Effectively managing personal email inbox.
- Ensuring that the working environment, particularly in the Post Room and bundle production area is kept clean and tidy at all times
- Ensuring that printing/photocopying equipment on members’ floors (and the post room) is in working order and regularly refilled with plain paper in order to minimise downtime
- Ensuring that all deadlines relevant to the role are met and that workloads are prioritised effectively
- Providing general assistance to Landmark’s Practice Management and Administration Teams as and when required and undertaking any task reasonably expected in the absence of a more senior colleague.
Landmark are hoping to recruit a Junior Practice Assistant with experience of working in the same or a similar capacity within a barristers’ Chambers or similar legal environment.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including good spoken and written English and be able to work effectively as part of a team. They will work well under pressure, have the ability to multi-task and, preferably, the ability to use their initiative to meet the needs and expectations of those around them.
This role will include dealing with barristers and professional clients, which means that a professional attitude and demeanour is required at all times, but especially when representing Landmark externally.
To make an application, please e-mail a comprehensive CV and cover letter to our HR and Administration Manager, Natasha White-Foy: email@example.com or on 020 74301221 for a confidential discussion.
The closing date for applications is 12:00 on Friday 27 September 2019.
Equality and Diversity:
We encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, marital status, religion or belief, or disability.